A fire breaks out in the Chandni Chowk building

0

A massive fire has been reported on the top floor of a three-storey commercial building in the busiest and most congested market aisles in central Delhi, Chandni Chowk. The building also collapsed inwards and an adjacent building was also damaged in the incident, however, no casualties have been reported so far.

After more than 11 hours, the fire that broke out on Sunday evening in the commercial building near Chandni Chowk metro station was brought under control, while cooling operations were still in progress until Monday evening. officials said.

‘There was no one trapped inside the building as the shops and godowns were all closed. During the firefighting operation, one of the firefighters was injured, but he is fine now,” a senior firefighter said.

During the rescue operation, firefighters had to operate from the adjacent building as a massive fire had broken out and all doors and windows were completely closed and there was no space to move around inside. inside, the official said.

The building was made of combustible materials, mostly clothes stuffed inside godowns and stores, he said.

Atul Garg, director of the Delhi Fire Department, said a call about the blaze was received around 10:40 p.m. on Sunday.

He said six firefighters were dispatched to the site initially.

He said the fire call was later escalated to a serious call and a total of 40 fire tenders were sent out to put out the flames. More than 150 firefighters were deployed to the site.

Speaking about the challenges faced by firefighters, Garg said that Chandni Chowk’s lanes are usually narrow and congested, making it difficult for firefighters to enter the lanes where the building was located.

New firefighters had to be brought in as there was no water supply.

Finally, the water source was used from the connections available near the Chandni Chowk metro station, he said. The cause of the incident is suspected to be an electrical malfunction, he added.

Share.

Comments are closed.