Auction Arc remains an option for Baaeed as connections reflect this


Twenty-four hours later BaaidJuddmonte International’s scintillating performance, future racing plans for the colt remain up in the air with two unexpected new options having emerged from the connections.

It had long been rumored that British Champions Day at Ascot would be the scene of his farewell performance – most likely for the QIPCO Champion Stakes.

But now the Royal Bahrain Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown on September 10 have entered the calculation, if it felt like the unbeaten colt needed a race ahead of Ascot on October 15. And after considering a remote possibility, a race in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe has now also been the talk of the town.

Enjoy a full replay of Baaeed’s win at Juddmonte International and his connections’ reaction

Talk to ITV-Racing On Thursday afternoon, Haggas said: “I was delighted, watched it at home last night with Maureen (Haggas) and it was a great watch.

“Ultimately the decision is up to Sheikha Hissa and I’m sure this (Arc) will be discussed and all options are open – it must be after what he did yesterday.

“We will see what evolves. I think the only chance of seeing him more than once (before retirement) is if he doesn’t go to the Arc and become Irish Champion and Champion. I think you’ll only see him once (more) in England, but like I said, it’s not my decision. We will discuss it and as long as the horse is fine, all options are still open.

Wednesday had seen the four-year-old take his unbeaten record to 10, smoothly transitioning to a mile and a quarter for the first time and inflicting a six-and-a-half-year beating on defending champion Mishriff.

The bookmakers immediately started offering short odds on Baaeed for the 12-stadium Arc in October, but Haggas and Sheikha Hissa agreed with the proposal immediately after the run.

Haggas has long targeted the QIPCO Champion Stakes as the final of Baaeed’s career, but his entry into the Royal Bahrain-backed Irish equivalent gives relations a fresh opportunity should they decide Sea The Stars’ son wants another race.

Earlier Thursday, Haggas had said Nick Luck Daily Podcast“He looks good, he rode well – he’s slimmed down a bit but we’re happy with him and very proud.

“At the end of the day, it’s not my decision (where Baaeed runs). The horse doesn’t belong to me, the horse is trained by us and it’s Sheikha Hissa’s decision and I’m sure we’ll talk about it. because a lot of people will try to convince Angus (Gold, racing manager) and Sheikha Hissa that the Arc is the right way to go.

“I’m open to suggestions, it’s always been our plan to go to Ascot but plans can change. I’m not saying for a minute they’re going to, but the only thing I will say is that there are almost two months left until Champions Day and that is quite a long time.

On the 10-stage Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown on September 10, Haggas added: “It’s the ideal solution if he were to have another race, so obviously it’s open to discussion.

“He’s in the running and we’ll see what happens but he’d have to be in bad enough health to go to Ireland so we’ll see.”

On the prospect of the Arc, Gold recounted Sky Sports Racing“It was always William’s plan to finish at Ascot. Obviously there was a lot of talk about the Arc yesterday and should we consider that.

“I spoke to Sheikha Hissa briefly after the race and asked her if she would even think about the Arc, but she said she thought it was best to stick with William’s plan and end up at Ascot, so for now we’ll stick with that.

“I’m sure she’ll speak to her family when she gets home and there’s another discussion, but that’s what she said yesterday and unless William changes his mind, I I’m sure that’s what she’ll want to do.”

Baaeed received an official rating of 135 following his international antics, putting him behind the legendary Frankel (140) and his father Sea The Stars (136) since the rankings began 18 years ago.

Enter the Paddy’s Pick 5 competition below for a chance to win £10,000!


Comments are closed.