Gym building catches fire in Sandy

0

SANDY, Utah – A gymnasium in Sandy caught fire Saturday night.

Officials said the fire started inside Pinnacles Gymnastics just before 8 p.m. The owner told firefighters he was welding inside when he saw combustible materials catching fire. He tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but it was spreading too fast. He and his daughter were able to get out safely, but suffered mild smoke inhalation and were taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Billows of black smoke were seen from the surrounding area, including Real Salt Lake fans watching a game at Rio Tinto Stadium a few blocks away (video below).

Commercial building fire in Sandy

It was too dangerous to enter the building, so crews fought the fire at 3 alarms from outside. By 8:30 p.m. the smoke had subsided considerably, but flames became visible just before 9:30 p.m.

The building is located at 9127 S. 255 West. Sandy Fire Department Deputy Chief Ryan McConaghie urged the public to avoid the area, especially Monroe Street.

No firefighters were injured.

McConaghie said a nearby carpet store and carpentry shop would likely be damaged by smoke, but not by fire.

Earlier in the day, black smoke was also visible during a Salt Lake Bees game at Smith’s Ballpark. The Salt Lake City Fire Department said an RV caught fire.

Share.

Comments are closed.