New Delhi, Sep 5 (PTI) The top floor of a three-story commercial building in central Delhi’s busiest and most congested market aisles, Chandni Chowk, collapsed on Monday following a massive fire, officials said, adding that an adjacent building was also damaged in the incident.
No casualties have been reported so far, they said.
After more than 11 hours, the fire that broke out on Sunday evening at the commercial building near Chandni Chowk metro station has been brought under control, while cooling operations are still ongoing, officials said.
“There was no one trapped inside the building as the shops and godowns were all closed. During the firefighting operation one of the firefighters was injured but is fine now,” a senior fire official said. During the rescue operation, firefighters had to operate from the adjacent building as a massive fire had broken out and all doors and windows were completely closed and there was no space to move around inside. inside, the official said.
The building was made of combustible materials, mostly clothes stuffed inside godowns and stores, he said. Atul Garg, director of the Delhi Fire Department, said a call about the blaze was received around 10:40 p.m. on Sunday.
He said six firefighters were dispatched to the site initially. He said the fire call was later escalated to a serious call and a total of 40 fire tenders were sent out to put out the flames. More than 150 firefighters were deployed to the site.
Speaking about the challenges faced by firefighters, Garg said that Chandni Chowk’s lanes are usually narrow and congested, making it difficult for firefighters to enter the lanes where the building was located.
New firefighters had to be brought in as there was no water supply.
Finally, the water source was used from the connections available near the Chandni Chowk metro station, he said.
The cause of the incident is suspected to be an electrical malfunction, he added.
(Disclaimer: This story is auto-generated from a syndicated feed; only image and title may have been reworked by www.republicworld.com)