SANDAKAN, April 27 – The construction project of Pan Borneo highway in Sabah is facing some slowdown due to cumbersome procedure of transferring utility infrastructure along the road, Deputy Chief Minister said from Sabah, Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin.
Therefore, Bung Moktar, who is also Sabah’s Minister of Public Works, said the state government has planned to implement the project through the Financial Financing Initiative (PFI).
“So far, the implementation of the Pan Borneo highway construction project is on schedule, there are only a few works packages which have a slight delay due to the slowness of SESB (Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd) to relocate its utilities (infrastructure), i.e. streetlights, as well as the Water Service, sewerage.
“I expected Sabah to make a decision like this in the peninsula and in Sarawak, where we are not awarding these road projects until the transfer of utility infrastructure is complete,” he said. he told reporters during his meeting with Kinabatangan Umno division. fast breaking ceremony here tonight.
Bung Moktar admitted that the transfer of the infrastructure could take up to four years before the actual work on the project can begin.
According to him, the implementation of the PFI was the subject of many discussions between his ministry and the Ministry of Public Works at the federal level as well as the Ministry of Finance and the Economic Planning Unit, but the federal cabinet accepted the proposal.
“At the moment we are just waiting for the final discussion on how to implement the PFI,” he added.
Previously, Bung Moktar had proposed the implementation of the PFI on 22 work packages under the first phase of the project, as it was likely that the federal government did not have the necessary funds to implement the project on the basis of of the available allowance.
He said that so far, 15 out of 34 work packages under the first phase have been implemented.
Commenting on the political developments, Bung Moktar, who is also the chairman of the Umno State Liaison Committee, said the state chapter will follow the decision of the recent Umno General Assembly that the seats won in the last General Elections (GE) under the Barisan Nasional (BN) ticket by the incumbents who then changed parties, is expected to be challenged again by BN in the next GE.
“We cannot give seats to any party for free. Umno pointed out that these were BN seats and should be challenged by BN,” he said.
Meanwhile, Bung Moktar welcomed the presence of the Pejuang Tanah Air Party (Pejuang), which announced that it would compete in Sabah, but felt that the people of Sabah would not be interested in choosing the party. — Bernama